Club History


At the turn of the twentieth century, discussions and events were taking place that lead to the federation of the Australian colonies in 1901. At the same time, nestled in the outer southern districts of Melbourne was a small hamlet known as Rosstown. The area, which today is the thriving suburbs of Carnegie, Murrumbeena, Ormond and parts of Glenhuntly, was where this Cricket Club took root.

Amidst what was a semi-rural settlement, the local methodist Church then known as Rosstown Wesley, fielded a local cricket team that was made up of the gentlemen of the parish. At the same time, other towns in the surrounding area via the auspices of the local church also fielded cricket teams and soon games were being played against each other. This led to the formation of a competition known as the South Suburban Churches Cricket Association (S.S.C.C.A) in the summer of 1900 - 1901. Carnegie United Cricket Club then known as Rosstown Wesley won the premiership in that inaugural season and so began an odyssey which has seen this Club survive through good times and bad times to move into its second century.


In 1920, the Club changed its name from Rosstown Wesley to Carnegie Methodist Cricket Club and shifted to its present location at Lords Reserve Carnegie in 1923. Lean years were to follow and the Club once again became a force in the S.S.C.C.A when they participated in four finals between 35/36 and 39/40 without success. After the War, during which the official competition was cancelled, and after many disappointing seasons, the drought was broken in season 57/58, 58/59 and the Club were runners-up in 60/61.


The Club entered its darkest days in the sixties with the lack of success on the field matched with declining membership. The lack of a successful junior program and the changing demographics of the parish population contributed to the decline. Also at this time, the influx of migrants to Australia had seen many nationalities settle in Melbourne. Carnegie and the surrounding suburbs were the first place of residence to many of the migrant families due to its nearness to the City, convenient modes of public transport and the readily available rental accommodation.

Migrants from Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan that had a rich cricket heritage and great love for the game of cricket chose to settle in the area. Carnegie Methodist Cricket Club was fortunate to recruit many members from the Sri Lankan community which has since consolidated over the years and formed the backbone of the membership of the Club, ensuring its survival.


In 1977 as a consequence of the formation of the Uniting Church, Carnegie Methodist Cricket Club changed its name to Carnegie Uniting Cricket Club to reflect the change. As a result of the Club having no involvement with the church other than the name, the Club decided to hold discussions with the Minister of the Carnegie Uniting Church to end the connection. The Church did not contribute financially or administratively to the running of the Club and the Minister of the day was a figurehead President due to the rules of the S.S.C.C.A and the Club's Constitution. After 77 years the link was severed and the Club respectfully maintained its name as it reflected the Club's history.


Soon a new Constitution was written and adopted by the members and Kerry Claasz (decd.) was elected as the first member President. In 1982, a member Keith De Kretser designed the Club's Crest and Motto - "facta non verba" which translated means "deeds not words". The seventies and eighties were a successful time for the Club both on and off the field. Membership was growing and four teams were entered in the competition at the one time. The Club participated in many final series but had limited success. The 2nd XI won two premierships in 77/78 and 78/79 but the "big one" continued to elude the 1st XI from 76/77 to 79/80 after playing in three grand finals. In 85/86 the 1st XI and 3rd XI won the flag and the 2nd XI were successful in 86/87. The club fielded two junior teams for three seasons with the hope that this would reap awards in the future. However the plans were never fulfilled and after three seasons the junior teams were scrapped due to a lack of players. After match functions and club nights were a great success and contributed to the team building and spirit on and off the field.


In 1982, the S.S.C.C.A changed its name to South Suburban Churches and District Cricket Association (S.S.C.D.C.A). at the annual general Meeting on 27th may 1989, the club underwent another name change to Carnegie United Cricket Club - "United" reflecting the multi-denominational and multicultural background of the members. And so it is that the Club welcomes lovers of the great game of cricket no matter what colour or creed they might be. The nineties were a lean period with limited success. In 90/91 and 93/94, the 2nd XI won premierships and in 97/98 the 3rd XI brought home the flag. The competition was undergoing change with some Clubs winding up. The S.S.C.D.C.A and the Oakleigh District Cricket association merged to form the Southern District & Churches Cricket league in 1994. Carnegie United was subject to the same challenges often having difficulty to field competitive teams. However with dogged perseverance and an unbridled resilience Carnegie United has survived the "nervous nineties" and with an ounce of good luck has reached 100 not out.

Weekly Training


Tuesday: 5.00pm - 7.00pm

Thursday: 5.00pm - 7.00pm

Venue


Keeley Park (East)
Clarevale Street
Clayton South, VIC 3169

Contact


President:
Patrick Ferdinands 0458 888 381

  Brandon Park Vet  Caulfield Park Branch Bendigo Bank